shopping bag program:
in an effort to encourage our shoppers to bring their own bags, beacon's closet charges .25 for our brown paper bags, and donates .15 of that cost to one of the charities listed below.
as an alternative, we offer adorable and durable reusable bags from baggu, and reusable beacon's closet bags made from recycled materials. we will keep a regular tally of money collected for charities right here.
- aclu - $1,700
- greenpeace - $325
- national audubon society - $500
national fragile x foundation - $430
- doctors without borders - $5,050
safe horizon - $1,200
- orkestai farm - $1,744
- waggytail rescue - $1,600
- aclu - $1,300
- everytown for gun safety - $1,200
- world wildlife fund - $450
- the malala fund - $880
- doctors without borders - $825
- safe horizon - $2,065
- orkestai farm - $192
- coalition for the homeless - $1,240
our park slope location is not yet participating in this program
clothing left for donation goes to the following charities:
- FDNY family assistance unit (FAU). items collected from us are sold at not-for-profit thrift stores and money is donated to benefit FAU. the FAU assists FDNY families when there is a death, accident, or serious illness. 501(c)(3) verified
- garage sales against violence. assists larger non-profits such as horizons, and women with cause, in bringing goods and much needed counseling services to their clients who have been displaced due to abuse. because of displacement, clients are in need of clothing and assistance. gsav maintains a storage closet that provides the ability to dress distressed people of all shapes and sizes on short notice 501(c)(3) verified.
- dominick's mobile ministry. a not-for-profit mobile service established in 1995, which distributes customer clothing to the needy, homeless, and to churches throughout new york and pennsylvania. items are both given away directly to individuals, and sometimes sold with a request for donations, to pay for this not-for-profit's operational expenses. this clothing is distributed through churches and through the mobile unit. any proceeds which this charity collects go toward fulfilling the mission of its own organization. director, joseph dominick.
cooke center academy: internship program. a non-profit learning and development provider for special education services in new york city offering a school for students ages 5 through 21, and consulting and training services. the academy's mission is to educate people with special needs so that they can lead independent, purposeful lives. to that end, beacon's closet hosts cooke center interns, providing students with the opportunity to gain confidence and practical skills that they can apply within the broader workforce when they graduate.
ny cares: annual coat drive and winter wishes program:
-the ny cares coat drive has provided new yorkers in need with warm winter coats every year since 1988. each winter we collect coats from our customers, and pull from our own inventory, to donate to this cause.
-the winter wishes program provides gifts to children and teens in need each holiday season. we volunteer in this program by receiving and fulfilling gift requests. both customers and employees can participate, taking the children's letters and personally shopping for each gift.
junior league of brooklyn: belle & beau of the ball program. an annual dress drive that provides formal attire for teenagers preparing for senior prom, graduation and other formal events. the goal is to promote self-confidence while relieving the attendees of financial stress and promoting advancement by way of educational or professional independence. each year, since 2013, we donate a portion of our inventory for this cause.
safe horizon: streetwork project. a program for homeless and runaway youth age 11-24. services include: legal, medical and psychiatric services, long-term counseling, individual and group therapy, case management, advocacy, help with obtaining identification, emergency and transitional housing, TASC preparation and support, help with entitlements, meals, showers and clothing. also wellness activities including acupuncture, yoga, nutritional counseling, HIV prevention counseling, parenting groups and drop-in groups. beacon's closet donates seasonal items as needed.
washeteria: a fantastical laundromat and theater space in williamsburg, brooklyn, intended to be a place where people of all ages and community are welcome to gather. in order to encourage community fellowship, episodic theater performances for free public viewing take place inside the whimsical setting, inspired by the landscape and diverse cultural makeup of actual functioning laundromats. theater artists will work specifically with students of brooklyn arbor ps 414, affording them the opportunity to observe as well as engage with the arts on multiple field trips to washeteria. in order for washeteria's set design to be fully realized, we donate a substantial amount of clothing to supplement their towering laundry pile.
- cuny's medgar evers college: SEEK program. the college's SEEK (the search for education, elevation, and knowledge) and mission possible peer mentor program, engage in community building through varied efforts. the programs have sponsored food, clothing, and toy drives for the homeless, and for children in foster care. during the 2014 holiday season, the program's goal was to collect resources for previously incarcerated women, who were struggling to return to their communities. we took part in the program by donating new and gently used professional attire, and everyday wear for approximately 50 women who have paid their debt to society and are seeking a second chance.